Sit down with your partner and share your responses to the following five questions. Take turns talking and listening. Try to be clear in your communication and curious rather than defensive in answering.
- Which of the four groups listed above do you consider your relationship to fall into? What are your EXPECTATIONS of your living together arrangement? Does living together imply any specific level of commitment or intention to eventually marry?
- Where do you now stand in terms of getting engaged?
- What issue, if any, is holding you back from becoming formally engaged?
- Are there any issues left over from your family of origin that interferes with a deepening commitment between you and partner?
- If you and your partner feel stuck, would you be invested in getting help clarifying where you want your relationship to go?